Hybrid and Mixed Processes
Mixed and Hybrid Processes
Product development organizations have recognized the value of driving product innovation through software. Many are hiring as many as five software engineers to each hardware engineer, and report development costs for embedded software and electronics as a percentage of total R&D more than doubling in the last 10 years.
This emphasis has changed the way that complex products are developed. Organizations are finding their traditional hardware centric development processes are not effective when applied to software intensive product development. They are also finding that one methodology does not necessarily fit all when it comes to software development. Some products are well suited to an Agile development style, while others function better with more traditional methods.
In this environment, flexibility is critical to success. Product development organizations using a collection of development tools to coordinate development, however, are finding themselves faced with difficult questions. "How do we coordinate the rapid iterations of Agile teams with fixed contracts and a static Bill of Materials?" or "How can we manage resources effectively when moving an engineer from one product to another requires training on 3 new systems?" and "How can we become more agile while still accommodating teams that cannot or are not ready to adopt pure Agile?"
They also face a number of complex challenges.:
- Teams and projects vary in their need, ability and desire to adopt more agile processes. The result is many different 'flavours' of Agile, Waterfall and Iterative development lifecycles across the organization
- Product release readiness information across mixed and hybrid processes no longer rolls up to meaningful data, so management is often forced to make decisions with insufficient information.
- Collaboration between and within disciplines is hindered as artifacts are stored in 'silos' and email and regular team meetings become the primary form of communication of requirements, defects and change
- Key project and product definitions, such as requirements and scope, are distributed across multiple systems and groups working under different processes. Without a single source of truth, the scope and vision of the product become blurred as requirements change, causing scope creep and teams and stakeholders to lose direction. This results in high levels of expensive and time consuming rework
- Bills of Materials and contracts are in constant flux because the different engineering disciplines' development cycles are never 'in sync'
- Demonstrating compliance becomes nearly impossible across the bewildering collection of tools and processes
Without appropriate coordination this situation can spell disaster. Multinational, market leading product development organizations have turned to PTC Integrity to manage their software system lifecycle and requirements management because it is the only tool on the market designed and developed to solve these challenges. Only PTC Integrity offers:
- A truly integral lifecycle management product - PTC Integrity orchestrates all development assets and activities with end-to-end traceability, bringing teams with different workflow and needs together eliminates redundant and wasteful effort spent reconciling systems and documents and compiling status reports
- Flexible process and workflow - Whether you use pure or hybrid Agile, Iterative, or Traditional processes, PTC Integrity can orchestrate your processes and assets and bring them together in one solution
- End-to-end traceability - In PTC Integrity, a mouse-click finds the tests that verify a requirement and the models that validate it, regardless of which team or process is developing the models
- Comprehensive real-time visibility - PTC Integrity provides reports, charts and dashboards at a mouse-click that contain up-to-date metrics on project progress across disciplines and processes.
- A complete development ecosystem - PTC Integrity is the only SSLM solution integrated into a holistic PLM solution to provide comprehensive Bill of Material (BOM), Engineering Change, and other engineering lifecycle process support for software intensive products
- Industry specific compliance solutions - PTC Integrity's traceability, customizable process control and automated change and history tracking simplifies compliance activities,